Saturday 3 August 2013

Agar Man

I've always enjoyed playing with anagrams. Whilst trying to come up with a name for my Etsy shop, thought I'd have a go with seeing what I could come up with by creating anagrams from certain words.
My favourite was from the word nostalgia of which I got again lost

quite beautiful

Image taken from a 1950's scrapbook I found at a car boot sale

When I discover objects and ephemera at car-boot sales, charity shops and house clearance sales. I often wonder where those objects used to be. What stories could they tell? Who did they belong to? Did they do a job, or serve a purpose. Where they hand made, such as the image above, which is a collection of hand cut out images taken from magazines, birthday, christening and wedding cards, tokens from birthday cakes such as silver keys and candles, or just oddities of found ephemera.
Sometimes I feel sad when I discover boxes, which could essentially be someone's life in a cardboard box. A little piece of nostalgia evoking images of the past. These objects are again lost, lost in a box, on a collapsable table top just waiting for someone to come and find them. Someone who they can tell their story to.


This reminds me of The Foundling Museum in London, UK. http://www.foundlingmuseum.org.uk/collections/the-foundling-hospital-collection/

I will continue this blog post later...

No comments: